Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fresh Starts


Hello and Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had as wonderful a Christmas as we did!  We were blessed beyond belief with lots of family time, a beautiful Christmas Eve church service, and of course way too many gifts!  Looks like Santa didn't forget where we live after all!


So now that the big hurrah is over, I'm left with a house that looks like it's been hit by a tornado.  Everywhere I turn, there are more bags, boxes, and just stuff.  I love to decorate for Christmas, but boy do I loathe UNDECORATING Christmas!  It's not quite as fun to put it all away!  I know that Christmas technically lasts for 12 days after the day of Christmas, but I am just incapable of keeping all the decorations out that long!!  Every year I am just hanging out and then I'm suddenly overcome with this desire to get our tree OUT.  Immediately.  So while I'm in the process of putting away Christmas, I've been thinking a lot about the new year ahead of us.
It may seem silly to some, but I have always loved starting a new year!  The natural planner in me just gets giddy making lists of my goals, plans, and hopes for the new year.  To be honest, 2011 was the most difficult and traumatic year of my entire life.  We were blessed in many ways, and adding Walker to our family was the greatest blessing of all.  However, the fear of losing my child took a hold of me in May, and has pretty much had me around the neck for the rest of the year.  I still get sick to my stomach every time he has a cardiologist appointment.  I still stand over him while he sleeps and count his breaths.  I still check to see if I can feel his pulses in his feet when he is nursing.  I wonder when this fear will go away.  It's definitely not as intense as it was over the first few days we learned of his condition, but it's not completely gone, either.  I really wonder if it will ever be completely gone.  I am so thankful he is here with us to start a fresh new year!  I am happy to say my children are both finally healthy and thriving!  So, as usual, last night I made my lists of "resolutions" for the new year.  Some of them are big things, and some are silly small things that probably only matter to me.

1.  Read the Bible daily and focus more on God.  I am attempting to follow along with WMHK's Bible Reading Guide, to see if I can read through the Bible in a year!

2. Try to be more patient.

3.  Of course the cliche resolution....lose weight and get in shape!  I have about 13-15 more pounds I would like to have gone by bathing suit season.  For us South Carolinians, that is around May.  I have made it my goal to lose the 15lbs by May 1.  That means I have to lose around a pound a week. Totally doable.  Just gotta hit the treadmill!  (after I finish this cookie...)

4.  Keep a cleaner house.  With trying to keep up with my 2 kids and the 2 I babysit, my house has taken a back burner!  I am working on giving it a good cleaning as I put away Christmas stuff, and then hopefully I can get back to just maintaining it.

5.  Cook more, eat out less.  I want to try lots of new recipes!

6.  Save money.  I have finished reading Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, and I am ready to get this ball rolling!  I'll be jumping back on the coupon train and really tackling our finances!

7.  Grow my blog.  I'm going to try to post more regularly and give this blog more focus!  I've had so much fun with it so far!

8.  Catch up on my scrapbooking.  I am so behind it's not even funny.

9. Get both children to sleep in their own bed.  This should be interesting.  It's no secret we share our bed with the kiddos.  Audrey has terrible nightmares and has made it very hard to get any sleep if she's not snuggled up against one of us.  Walker is not a sleeper either.  We shall see...

10.  Drink 8 glasses of water a day.  I've struggled with this for a while!








So that's what I have come up with!  I'm a dork, so I'm excited about it! Haha!! What are YOUR new year's resolutions???


Seeing her swingset...






No comments:

Post a Comment