Friday, February 4, 2011

What's happening today

In case you are wondering, I will not normally post this many times in one day.  But today I have nothing better to do, so I figured I could just take the time to get this thing up and running.  While the first 3 posts were me looking back, this post is about what is going on in our lives right now.  Audrey Grace (my daughter for those who don't know) just got over her first tummy bug.  She has made it 2 years without ever getting sick!  I realized several things during the hours of me just sitting and holding my sick baby.

1.  Kids are incredibly tough.  Much tougher than adults.  This little girl was sick.  Awful sick.  And yet she still managed to open her little eyes, look up at her concerned mama, and smile the sweetest little smile as if she was saying, "calm down Mom.  I'll be ok."

2.  I am a better mom than I thought I would be.  No, I'm not trying to pat myself on the back too much here, but my entire life I have had this FEAR of vomit.  I still cry every time I throw up and I'm an adult.  When someone else throws up, I always have to shut my eyes, cover my ears, and hum really loud so I don't hear it happening. Ha. I just cannot deal with it.  I remember telling my mom when I had Audrey that I was so afraid for when she threw up the first time because I would have to be a terrible mom and leave her in there puking by herself.  Mom assured me that when the time came, I would do what I had to do to comfort my child.  And sure enough, 2 years later I stood holding my sweet girl over the sink, rubbing her back, and telling her that mama was there and it would be ok.  and I didn't throw up!!!!


3.  My husband can't cook.  No, I didn't actually come to this realization for the first time the other day, but he did confirm what I've thought all along.  He is actually HELPLESS in the kitchen.  While she was sick, I held Audrey from about 11am on Wednesday to noon on Thursday.  She did not want me to set her down, and quite honestly, I didn't want to.  That meant no cooking dinner Wednesday night.  Ben got home from work and I had not eaten all day. (NOT a good idea for fellow preggos out there.) I told him he would have to fix us something to eat.  We had those frozen Tyson chicken patties in the freezer. Perfect!  They are quite possibly the easiest thing to make!  I explained every step to him, even telling him which pan to use.  10 minutes later I smelled smoke all the way in the den.  5 minutes after that, every smoke alarm in the house was going off.  No lie.  I ran into the kitchen, (still holding her) and he had the oil so hot on the stove that it was smoking like crazy.  He had then decided to cut up some tortillas I had for enchiladas the next night, and make his own tortilla chips by throwing them in the scorching hot extra virgin olive oil.  Those of you who cook know that EVOO is not made to fry things and reach that high of a temp.  Needless to say-it was a mess.  My husband can't cook.

This morning Ben got his wisdom teeth cut out.  He's been laid up in bed all day, and it's nasty cold and rainy outside, so I have nothing else to do but blog!   Audrey Grace's 2nd birthday is coming up on the 11th and I am busy party planning most of the time!  We are doing a Raggedy Ann theme!  Today I am 27 weeks pregnant!  I'm officially in the 3rd trimester!! Woohoo!  Since we are having a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks, that means I have 12 more weeks of being pregnant!  I will actually miss it this time.  Little Walker has been much nicer to his mama than his sister was in there.  He seems to be quite content. (although I'm pretty sure he is already practicing for his black belt in karate.)  Here are a few recent pictures!

Practicing her most recent role as "Big Sister."  Yes, she chose the outfit herself.

Does her brother know what he's in for??!  :)



This means nothing to anyone but me.  I teared up the first time I could put her hair in a "real" ponytail.  That's what you dream about when you find out you're going to have a daughter.

On the tractor with daddy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment